July 12, 2006

Careful though with giving the illegal and the illicit markets (the IIM's) another juicy growth opportunity

Sir, I am no iPod listener since I prefer radio and when I hear music I feel that sharing it is part of the experience. That said Thomas Hazlett “Antitrust regulators must listen to reason on iPods”, July 12, caught my attention when it said “Were Apple to exploit its users, its market would be ripe for an upstart”. I have some difficulties in understanding in this context the meaning of the word exploitation since if it is getting more out of the consumer by offering them something very attractive and leveraging that on his lack of choices then I would say that the consumer has most probably already been exploited by iPod, for quite a while.

Now, if I read Hazlett right, he seems to suggest that it is better to allow some time for competition to provide the market with the alternatives before calling in the trustbusters. He is probably right, I agree, though I would also have to warn against waiting for too long, since it is always preferably to legally bust a trust (if there is one) than to allow for yet another new growth opportunity for the illegal and illicit forces of evil to start pirating and copying the iPods. By the way, are there already some fake cheap iPods out there? Hey, just asking!