February 04, 2009

The world needs a Davos meeting without financiers

I just received a letter from one of those big banks that has recently received billions of dollars in official assistance. It informs me that if I finance my purchases with my credit card, where I have ample credit available since I repay all my consumptions monthly, my interest rate will be 17% and, if I enter into any default, 26%. This all in a country where there are no inflation expectations; the government is paying zero rate on its short term borrowings and contemplates a close to a trillion dollar stimulus package; and everyone wants the consumers to spend more to get the economy from falling. For a consumer to finance the anticipation of any purchases with these interest rates would be an act of extreme irresponsibility.

And then I read Martin Wolf’s “Why Davos man is waiting for Obama to save him” February 4, and though it seems such an utterly sensible article that recommends “focus all attention on reversing the collapse on demand now... employ overwhelming force. The time for ‘shock and awe’ in economic policymaking is now”; it only makes me reflect on how much we need a Davos type meeting where the financial sector is not invited and where one could freely dare to ask questions such as... why should we stimulate the economy before making sure that all the new green sprouts are not going to be devoured by some of the players in the financial sector?... and how could we get a finance sector that serves our needs too?